Thursday, March 14, 2013

Onomatopoeia: Robert Munsch Author Study feat. Michael Martchenko

This author study was my brain child as a way to maneuver our curriculum.  This week's theme in my curriculum was I Can Move.  Now, we already did a theme in the beginning of the year according to the theme called My body as well as one called Healthy Habits therefore doing this theme would be a repeat of the idea.  My team and I talked it over and we decided to use an author that use sounds to describe various movements aka onomatopoeia and who else would be more fitting than the one the only Robert Munsch.  In addition, it is a Pre-K standard for students to be able to identify their favorite author or types of books but many of our students will not know these authors unless they are read a series of their books.

We read Mortimer as a part of our music theme the Friday before this unit which was a great segue way into a whole week on Robert Munsch.  I made an anchor chart to assist my students in the sequencing.  I asked the students what happened first and so on and I wrote and drew the pictures as they described it to me.  


Mortimer anchor chart. 
Onomatopoeia anchor chart based on BOO! and Mmm Cookies

We read Mmm cookies and made our own person and their colored cookies and decorated it with various paper scraps.  They were adorable.


We also read Aaron's Hair which is a personal favorite of mine.  It's a fun, silly story about a boy who hates his hair so much that the hair runs away.    I was inspired to do the craft by Step in to Second Grade and  it can be found on her TPT store or through the link on her blog.  Unfortunately, I did not have any skin colored paper or my new manilla folder alternative so we did them on white paper.   In addition, I created my own sequencing sheet where my students drew the beginning, middle and end of the story and then write a sentence about it.  Those also came out really great.  Here is the link to that sequencing  worksheet that I made.



This student is a great illustrator and her handwriting is even better,.


   













This student decided to show the outcome with his hair on his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, I would love to hear from you. Suggestions and questions welcomed.